When your little Shih Tzu is looking up at you with those big eyes, it can be difficult not to give in and give them a bite of whatever you are eating. Most of the time, this isn’t an issue as long as you don’t do it all of the time. However, there are human foods that can be toxic or even deadly for your pup.
18 Human Foods That Are Toxic or Deadly for Shih Tzus
There are a number of human foods that can cause your dog serious damage or even be fatal.
The following 18 should never be given to your Shih Tzu.
1. Onions and Garlic
Both onions and garlic can be toxic for your dog.
Not only can they cause gastrointestinal irritation, they can also damage red blood cells.
Anemia is another possible side effect.
It can take a few days for symptoms to show up.
When they do, they include:
- Orange to red colored urine
Avocados contain Persin.
You’ll find this in the leaves, seeds, and the fruit itself.
And while avocado toast is all the rage, don’t share it with your Shih Tzu.
It can cause both diarrhea and vomiting.
Not to mention, the avocado seed is a choking hazard for you little dog and can cause an obstruction in their stomach or intestines which can be fatal.
3. Raisins and Grapes
Grapes are a wonderful treat anytime and frozen grapes are great in the summer, but don’t be tempted to give your Shih Tzu one no matter how much they may beg.
Both grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Just a couple grapes can lead to severe vomiting.
Other signs include:
- Decreased appetite
While it is true that not all dogs are harmed by grapes, many are.
If your Shih Tzu has eaten some and show any of the above signs it is best to take them to the vet right away.
Otherwise you could be looking at long-term kidney disease or even death within three to four days.
Chocolate just makes life sweeter, but not for your dog.
Depending on the type of chocolate and the amount they are exposed to, you can see the following symptoms:
- Increase thirst
- Muscle tremors
- Irregular heartbeat
Dark chocolate is more dangerous for your Shih Tzu than milk chocolate as dark chocolate contains more caffeine and theobromine which cause toxicosis in your dog.
You will want to keep your dog away from caffeine as well, so no sharing your morning cup of Joe.
5. Artificial Sweetener (Xylitol)
Chances are you use artificial sweetener in your morning coffee or tea.
If not, you still may come across it in sugar-free gum, the toothpaste you use, or even those chewable vitamins that are so much easier to get down than the regular large pills.
Regardless of where you find it, it can be deadly for your Shih Tzu.
Xylitol can cause a severe drop in your dog’s blood sugar levels.
It can drop so much as to be fatal.
Xylitol can also cause liver damage.
And it doesn’t take much.
For small dogs like Shih Tzus, one piece of sugar free gum digested by a ten pound dog can be toxic.
You should watch for the following signs that your dog has ingested a piece, or more…
- Loss of coordination
These symptoms can show up in a few minutes to a few hours.
If you think your dog has gotten a hold of a product with Xylitol do take them to your vet immediately.
You might also enjoy:
Other Human Foods You Shouldn’t Share With Your Shih Tzu
This is a short list of other human foods that can cause distress in your dog and shouldn’t be shared:
- Chives – same as onions
- Mancadamia nuts – loss of body functions
- Cherries – cyanide-releasing amygdalin in the pits
- Corn on the cob – the cob can cause a blockage
- Alcohol – causes damage to the central nervous system
- Raw bread dough – can expand in their stomach and cause tissue damage
- Coffee and tea – speeds up heart rate and can cause lung failure
- Salt – can cause salt poisoning
- Rhubarb – can cause kidney failure
- Citrus oil – can cause liver failure
- Spinach – can cause kidney damage
- Nutmeg – can cause rapid heart rate and seizures
- Potato – can cause issues with their nervous systems
You may also enjoy:
Should I Feed My Shih Tzu Wet or Dry Food?
Should You Feed Your Shih Tzu Before or After a Walk?
To Sum it All Up:
While you can share a bite of human food from time to time with your pup, for the most part, you want to keep them on dog food and treats made for dogs. Too many human foods can harm your sweet little pup or even cause death.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. If you are concerned about your dog’s diet or something they may have eaten, be sure to get professional advice from your vet immediately.